Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Meaning of Night: A Confession by Michael Cox


I don't know. I just don't know. In someways this was my kind of book, in some ways it wasn't.

It's a thick Victorian set mystery. The book is read as a confession, of course told in the first person. So in that way I had to view it a bit differently. Some people will complain that it's long and most of it is drawn out just by the narrator talking about things and not actually doing it. Well, if you read it as a confession, if you read it as though this is from an actual person sitting down with a pen and paper and unburdening himself of his crimes and passions, then who are we to say that it's drawn out? It's how someone lived and thought.

The reader knows the truth from the beginning, but it's interesting to see how the narrator finally finds the truth. And it's interesting to read inside his mind while he commit such crimes and talked to certain people, and so on.

I can't say I was completely satisfied with the ending. I admit, I was thinking it would go a different way. Either my way or the way the author wrote it, is still not a happy ending.

I can't say too much without giving things away, but I really don't know what kind of person to recommend this to. I'd say it's worth a try to anyone. You may be surprised.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's about how I felt. I picked the book up because I thought it had me written all over it. I loved it at first, but as the narrative progressed I thought it lost its steam. I think its been a year or so since I read it so I don't remember details, but I do remember the ending coming across as bizarre (and not in a good way). Which is a shame because I think there was so much potential shown early on.

Christy B said...

I concur with the last sentence. So much potential. Nothing disappoints me more in a book than when it has a good premise and interesting characters, but the plot doesn't hold up.

Tudor Daughter said...

Christy good review! This looks a read I would really enjoy. Beautiful Blog, by the way.

Christy B said...

Thanks very much, on both points! :)