Thursday, December 10, 2009

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier


Read for the first time this well-loved novel that I liked well enough.

This is a beautiful story with beautiful descriptions of a manor with a musical sounding name. Manderley. Just rolls right off the tongue, doesn't it? We're guided through the whole story by 'I' or 'Mrs. de Winter.' Aha, we never find out her real name, although we are lead to believe it is an interesting one! I am glad to say, she was not dumb as a bag of rocks - which I admit I was fearing. The world of Manderley through her eyes is thoroughly enjoyable.

I admit I did not become fully engrossed until about halfway through. Right along the fancy dress ball did I start not reading fast enough. Before that I was just enjoying the seemingly flawless writing style, but now we were cooking!


I had seen the old Hitchcock film years ago, so unfortunately, the mystery was gone. I kept picturing Laurence Olivier as Maxim while reading - I am not complaining! However, knowing what happened did not make it any less intense. I found myself holding my breath at some points and I stopped to ask myself, "Why?" du Maurier is no doubt a master at suspense!  


This was my last read for the Back to School Challenge!




2 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm with you on Olivier! I did feel like I understood things better after I read the book. But I love that movie!

Unknown said...

Du Maurier is indeed a wonderful writer (or rather was). I'm glad to hear you liked Rebecca. I loved it, especially the dark atmosphere which the author is a mistress of creating.