Sunday, January 3, 2010

Where Serpents Sleep by C.S. Harris

Another great installment in the Sebastian St. Cyr mystery series. Viscount Devlin is back delving into London's seedy underworld thanks to Hero Jarvis, the daughter of the man he hates more than life itself.

Hero was a witness, and only survivor, to a most gruesome murder. Visiting a house of refuge, Hero was interviewing a prostitute named Rose, for research, when the house was invaded by intruders and set on fire. Rose dies in Hero's arms and Hero vows to find out how this obviously cultured young woman came to such a place in her life and why these men wanted these women dead. Knowing that Devlin is only helping her to get to her father, she seeks out his help, anyway. How would Lord Jarvis, cousin to the Prince Regent, feel if all of London found out where his daughter was that night? Devlin knows how it would ruin him.

As in the previous installments, Where Serpents Sleep is filled with chases, disguises, seedy characters and just a bit of humor.

The relationship between Devlin and Hero is unbalanced which makes it most intriguing. I can't say I miss Kat Boleyn at all. Hero is a great character who is ahead of her time. She is most intelligent and has no desire to get married, which in 1812, is most unusual for a woman. And I wish we could see more of Devlin's aunt. She seems like a kick.

This series seems to be only gaining momentum, and at this being the fourth in the series, that is definitely a rare thing.


Read my review of book #1 here and my review of books #2 and #3  here.



2 comments:

Svea Love said...

Yay, a new series for me to read! I can't believe I have not heard of this series, it sounds so intriguing.

http://muse-in-the-fog.blogspot.com/

Alaine said...

I've not heard of this author before but really like the sound of this book. Will go and add it to my TBR. Great review!