Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Eyes Like Stars (The Théâtre Illuminata: Act 1) by Lisa Mantchev

All Her World's A Stage

I decided to take a break from my usual genres and venture in to a new territory. I loved the premise of Eyes Like Stars when I first saw it mentioned months ago. I thought, "Hmm, sounds intriguing. Perhaps I'll read it one day."

Eyes Like Stars is one of the most creative stories I've read in a long time. It was a very refreshing tale of a young girl named Beatrice Shakespeare Smith who has no idea where she comes from, but who finds herself living in a theatre, a theatre that contains every character from every play ever written. Ever. Characters who can not leave the theatre. And her bedroom is the stage. Her best friends are four mischievous fairies from A Midsummer Night's Dream, which, by the way, were absolutely hilarious. They had me literally laughing out loud.

Bertie has been a bit of a nuisance and has been asked to leave the theatre by the Theatre Manager unless she can find a way to contribute. She decides to be a director, but her plans of remaining in the theatre are thrown in to chaos when a certain character tries to escape. Now Bertie must not only try to save her job, but the entire theatre.

Mantchev has creative a dazzling, unique world that you find yourself lost in once you open its pages. One of my favorite elements in the book was that flashbacks were written as a script, with both dialogue and action.

Highly recommended to lovers not only of fantasy, but of theatre, as well. This is just act one, and I can not wait to read act two, which is entitled Perchance To Dream and comes out this May!


Visit the website to read the first chapter of Eyes Like Stars!

0 comments: