Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Reckless by Anne Stuart


I received a galley of this novel from NetGalley for review. This in no way affected my opinions.


Reckless, book #2 of the The House of Rohan series, takes place 39 years after book #1. Read my review of book #1 Ruthless here.

In Reckless we meet the son of the hero and heroine of Ruthless: Adrian. I wasn't as intrigued with him as I was his father. Where his father had a haunted history, Adrian just seemed more like a spoiled brat. I couldn't pick up on any 'darkness' to him, even though it was mentioned a few times.

Our heroine is a Ms. Charlotte Spenser, a 30 year old spinster. And while I did like her (I do love a good bluestocking), again, I didn't find her as intriguing as our heroine in Ruthless. Where Elinor had a seriously rough life, Charlotte has had it a bit good in comparison. Nevertheless, she was an intelligent character. Also, when she took off her glove and smacked Adrian across the face while in the carriage, I admit I cheered.

The romance of Adrian and Charlotte was a bit vapid. However, I was much more moved by the secondary romance, that of Simon Pagatt, a vicar, and Charlotte's cousin Lina. Their relationship was based more on feeling whereas Adrian and Charlotte's was more on lust. Simon and Lina are vastly different and Lina has the added disadvantage of never wanting to marry again due to a horrible marriage which left her a widow. The conversations between Simon and Lina were fantastic. They were always sparring at each other.

I was content on how the story ended and felt this was a pretty solid middle book in the series.



0 comments: