Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday 02.14.12


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's Top Ten is Top Ten Books That Broke My Heart A Little. Love this topic!


  1. The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly - Each book in this trilogy had heartbreaking moments, but this was the only book that made me cry; it had a heartbreaking death that made me sob.
  2. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton - A tragic death; someone else dying without knowing the truth of their past - so much sadness.
  3. The Bells by Richard Harvell - The main character goes through the ringer, but it's an inspiring story. He incurs a few losses along the way and my heart broke for him.
  4. The Villa Triste by Lucretia Grindle - A book about the Italian Resistance during the Nazi occupation of Italy during WWII. Not a happy story.
  5. The Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling - I don't think I need to explain.
  6. The Charioteer by Mary Renault - No deaths, thank goodness, but the ending hit me like a ton of bricks. Funny thing was, it didn't hit me until I had finished the book and turned out the lights to go to sleep. Then, the sadness just washed over me.
  7. While England Sleeps by David Leavitt - Ok, this book didn't break my heart a little, it broke my heart A LOT. I don't think I cried more over a book in my life. It killed me. Guh.
  8. Before Ever After by Samantha Sotto - A very unique story that hit in all the right places emotionally. It's a roller coaster.
  9. The Distant Hours by Kate Morton - I love Morton's stories, they always get me. This is a perfectly heartbreaking book. I call it a 'what-if' book, because there were so many what-ifs to think about when you've finished.
  10. Possession by A.S. Byatt - It's very sad, in a story, when a character dies without knowing something that could've impacted their life, that could have made them happier. This book was a perfect example.

2 comments:

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

Thanks for these recommendations, I think I will read Before Ever After, sounds right up my alley!

Kristina said...

The last Harry Potter was the worst for me, but Half Blood broke my heart too :'(