Thursday, August 16, 2012

Maiden Behind the Mask by Tara Chevrestt

I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for a review. This in no way affected my opinions.

A short, but gripping story of a fabulous sword wielding female Zorro!

After almost being assaulted one day, Catalina vows never to be a damsel in distress again. Not only that, but she will help other women from being victims. She learns to sword fight in secret, and finally has the opportunity to put her plan into action... at her engagement party. Donning men's attire, and a mask, Catalina assumes the identity of El Capitan. Catalina is successful as her alter ego for a while, but soon finds it hard to keep her identity a secret from her new husband.

One of my favorite historical interests are women pirates, but I'm pretty much interested in any story that has a women wielding a sword and assuming the protective role that has mostly been associated with men. So, I knew that I would like this story. The sword fighting was, of course, my favorite parts, and it was told in great description.

I loved the setting, characters, and the blow-by-blow of the action scenes. A fantastic, quick, and creative read that will satisfy anyone looking for something different.


0 comments: