Wednesday, December 19, 2012

When Maidens Mourn by C.S. Harris


I'll usually read books in this series in a day or two, but I took my time with this one. I didn't want to rush it, because the writing in these books are great. The descriptions and character developments are top notch, and I didn't want to miss a thing to speed read just to find out what happens at the end.

I'm not going to do a summary of this book, because at this point in the series, I'll just be giving stuff away. I will say that this mystery had a King Arthur theme, and features a young Alfred Tennyson and a tragedy to do with his family.

It was an engrossing mystery, with fantastic action sequences and intriguing characters. Seriously, the action descriptions in this series is some of the best I've read. And I just love the characters, old and new. There isn't an uninteresting character in the bunch, and you never know who's hiding something, until the end.

Another thing I love about this series, is that it evokes the Regency era without stuffing it down your throat, both the glittering and the gritty. Sebastian is upper class, but due to his involvement in murders, he's often thrown into encounters with some unsavory characters. From criminals to expatriates, we come across them all, and none of them are as they seem.

Another solid installment in the series, I can't wait for the next one.


1 comments:

Dazzling Mage said...

Okay, I don't know anything about this book, or the series, but I really want to read it now.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention!