Friday, June 26, 2009

The House At Riverton by Kate Morton


This is one of those books I was sad to finish. I wish it would never end. I'm not sure why, but I think I just got caught up in the world.

The House at Riverton takes place before, during and after WWI. Set in England, the story is told through the eyes of a servant: Grace. The chapters are set either in present day, with Grace an old woman, and the past. A past that Grace is trying to forget until she's asked to unlock the secrets of a time so long ago for a film that is being made, set at Riverton, about the tragic event of a young poet taking his life.

One word to describe this novel is: breathtaking.

I loved how the book was set up: interwoven with both past and present day; part of a script; newspaper articles; letters. It was a beautifully crafted story of tragic love, war and family secrets set against a beautiful backdrop of a grand estate.

The end knocked me over like a ton of bricks.
The final page almost had me in tears.

I recommend this for people who enjoy stories set during war and the affects that war brings after. And also to people who just like a good story.

0 comments: