Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Beau Brummell: This Charming Man


The first of four period dramas I'm watching for the Period Drama challenge.

For the challenge, I have to watch two Regency set films. The other will be Becoming Jane, so I thought it would be nice for the other film to have nothing whatsoever to do with Jane Austen, and believe me, it was no easy task.

Based on the book Beau Brummell: The Ultimate Man of Style by Ian Kelly (who, coincidentally enough, has a small part in the film), it's a short period of time covered about the real man George Bryan Brummell.

The film is just under 80 minutes and covers the rise and fall of Brummell's friendship with The Prince of Wales and his relationship with Lord Byron. Ending with Brummell fleeing to France.

James Purefoy plays an absolutely fantastic Beau Brummell. I think smoldering would be the correct word to use here. I was equally struck with the other performances, such as Hugh Bonneville as the Prince of Wales and Matthew Rhys as Lord Byron.


The costumes are beautiful, which they would have to be, seeing as how the basis of the film is fashion and Brummell's influence on it.

Wonderful acting performances and splendid costumes makes this a good little regency period drama.

Official Site

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Ha, Beau Brummell was the word of the day the other day for the e-mails I get. I can't think of the name of the website.

Thomas Hogglestock said...

I loved this drama. We could use a lot more like this...