Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Lady Audley's Secret (2000)





Based on the 1862 novel by Mary Elizabeth Braddon this version aired on UK TV in 2000.

It has been months since I've read the book, so everything is not as fresh in my mind, but I did realize that there were some characters missing, which lent to scenes missing and some of the characters' relationships being different.

I didn't know what to make of Neve McIntosh as Lady Audley at first, but less than halfway through the movie, I thought, "She's got this." She made me feel sorry for Lady Audley, which I also did in the book. Robert Audley was a bit of a creeper, for a lack of a better word. I don't recall him being that way in the book. I remember him being a bit dull and just a tad dimwitted, but not creepy.

The mystery wasn't so well concealed, I thought, but this is coming from someone who knew what was going on. Also, you can't hide things as well in films. It just doesn't work.

This is one of those OK adaptations. At some points I went cross eyed, and at some points I thought it was great.

I do have to say, I did love the ending for this film more than the book. I liked how things went for her. I thought she was treated unfairly in the book.

The costumes were beautiful. And I loved some of the slow motioned shots to see them better. Lady Audley's dresses were just gorgeous.


3 comments:

Maria Grazia said...

I've never heard of this novel but it seems this film is quite loosely based on it. Did you like the book more than the adaption, as it usually happens? Or were you just disappointed by the changes?
I see you're currently reading La Faye's "The World of Jane Austen and her novels". Indispensable for an Austenite!
Thanks for sharing.

Christy B said...

I'd have to say I like them both pretty equally. I gave the book three stars, which is average.

The romantic query letter and the happy-ever-after said...

I'll be looking for both book and film now I know about them. Thanks for sharing. All the very best.