Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Katherine by Anya Seton

I had been meaning to read this for years and I am afraid my expectations were too high.

I know this is a classic love story, but I, unfortunately, did not 'feel the love'. When John and Katherine realized their love for each other, it happened so fast. I thought, "Really? Are you sure that's not just infatuation or lust?" The way it was written, I felt it to be a horrible adulterous affair, rather than a real love story.

Up until Katherine's husband's death, I thought she was a good character. She was strong and resourceful. When she took up with Gaunt, I started to dislike her. I felt she was incredibly selfish, especially when it came to her children, particularly her first two.

Since I felt the lack of real love, the rest of the story was a bust for me. I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped. Seton is a masterful storyteller, however, and I do plan on reading more of her novels.


3 comments:

Katy said...

Ah, I haven't read this yet, but I know what you mean. I'm not big on adulterous affairs. May have to reconsider reading this one because I'd have the same problem.

Svea Love said...

I have also had this on my shelf for a while. Hmm...I wonder what I will think of their love story. Hopefully I will get to it soon :)

Lisa said...

I have the same problem with I'm reading love stories--Really? You just looked at each other and fell in love? That does sound more like infatuation or lust to me, too.