Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer

I'm starting to think that I enjoy Heyer's Georgian adventures, more than her regencies! They are so action-packed with sword fighting and disguises and the whole bit, that you can't be bored.

After reading Devil's Cub, I was in a bit of a Heyer slump. I didn't particularly enjoy that one, but it didn't last for long because after reading The Masqueraders, my faith was restored.

The Masqueraders is a tale of a brother and sister who find themselves on the wrong side of the Jacobian rebellion and are forced to go in to disguise. They each masquerade... as the opposite sex. Oh, what fun! However, it is not easy as each of them starts falling in love. Prudence with Sir Anthony Fanshawe and Robin with Letitia Grayson. They each stick to their false identities, though, and intend to see it out.

Just when you think it's getting good, their cunning father shows up. Without a doubt, he is my favorite character. He was utterly impossible and everything that came out of his mouth had me rolling.

Sword fighting, cross dressing, secret identities, abductions, people being thrown out of carriages - this book had it all. Good, good fun!


I received my copy of this book from Sourcebooks for review. This in no way affected my opinions.

5 comments:

Svea Love said...

Oh it sounds wonderful! It does seem that there is a bit of everything. Thanks so much for reviewing it :)

Confessions & Ramblings of a Muse in the Fog

Lucy said...

What a fun book! I'm finding that all my Heyer reads so far are so entertaining. I think I'd like this one..especially since it's during the Revolution period. Thanks for the lovely review:)

Misfit said...

Oh, you have just sold me. I've been wanting to try Heyer and Regencies and I just don't get along. Thank you.

Meredith said...

Lovely review, Christy. I was wondering if you knew what Lord Barham meant at the end when he alludes to wanting his son to inherit an Earldom?

Christy B said...

Hmm. I don't recall, actually.