Sunday, May 9, 2010

Uncertain Magic by Laura Kinsale

I received a review copy of this novel from Sourcebooks. This in no way affected my opinions.

Prior to reading Uncertain Magic I had read two other Kinsale books, Lessons in French and Flowers From the Storm, both of which I loved.

Uncertain Magic is one of Kinsale's first books, from what I understand. I liked it well enough, but if I hadn't already read Lessons in French and Flowers From the Storm prior to reading this, I'm not sure if I would have wanted to continue with her other books. I love historical romance. Historical paranormal romance? I guess I'm not a fan. This was my first romance novel with paranormal elements and I found them very distracting, especially the whole 'mind reading' thing.

Things I did love, however, was the whole mystery surrounding the hero's father's death. I never saw that ending coming. The hero, Faelan Savigar, is suspected of murdering his father when he was just 10 years old. Trouble is, he can't remember anything about it. I love how the heroine, Roderica, helped 'unlock' the truth. It was very well set up. And the other thing I love was the descriptions of Iveragh. It sounded like a breathtaking place that I wanted to dive in to. The way in which it was described, it sounded like a very enchanting, mystical place full of mystery.

This is a very good Georgian romance and if you love paranormal romance, then you'll love this!

0 comments: