Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Princeling by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles


I received a review copy of this novel from Sourcebooks. This in no way affected my opinions.

The Princeling is book three in the Morland Dynasty series. I found it more enjoyable than the previous two, mostly because of the pacing. It covered a lot of time like the previous installments, but for some reason I didn't feel like I was getting a lot thrown at me at once.

The Princeling takes place during the Elizabethan era. We don't see a whole lot of royalty in this one, which I have to admit, I liked. Towards the beginning of the book, Nanette is in Elizabeth's court and we get a few scenes with the Queen, but that's about it. Most of the book was about the various Morlands off in their own lives, far away from Morland Place.

Again, I'm thankful for the family tree located in the front of the book. It was very much needed; there was so many names! The characters were more fleshed out than in the previous books. We see many of the younger generation going off either on their own or marrying and moving far away. This causes riffs within the older generation and Morland Place becomes destitude.

We see the Morlands suffer through many losses, but also love. And as the book winded down, there was a sense of hope that the Morlands would carry forth and prosper for future generations. I really enjoyed this one. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book.

2 comments:

Dazzling Mage said...

Ooh, never heard of this series, but I'd love to start reading this! Thanks for the review!

Marg said...

This is such a good series! I need to hurry up and read the next one.