Monday, December 13, 2010

Old Friends and New Fancies by Sybil G. Brinton

The first Jane Austen sequel/continuation, Old Friends and New Fancies was published in 1914 and is indeed a charming book.

It incorporates characters from all of Austen's major novels. Everyone knows everyone. However, as far as the main plot lines go, the true 'continuations' were only of Pride & Prejudice and Mansfield Park. Although, characters from all six novels with involved somehow, from the minor to the major.

I found the book to be just a bit long, and could have been cut in several places, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It read like an Austen novel and all the characters seemed to be true to their original creations.

A solid Austen sequel. And seeing as how it was the first of its kind, with no precedent, I recommend all Austen fans to give it a read. I believe Austen fans will enjoy Old Friends and New Fancies.


2 comments:

Audra said...

1914?! That's awesome! I'm definitely going to look for it.

Meredith said...

I like how true to character everyone was. Brava to Ms. Britton for penning this sequel in 1914!!!