Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I Am the Chosen King by Helen Hollick

I received a review copy of this novel from Sourcebooks. This in no way affected my opinions.


In deciding to read I Am the Chosen King (a reissue of the novel Harold the King), I went out of my usual historical fiction comfort zone. Before finishing this book, I'd never read a book that took place as far back as the 11th century. It was nice to read something different, about a time I didn't know much about.

Of course, I already knew the ending. The events of Hastings in 1066 are no secret. However, once I started getting closer to the end, I was hoping for a different outcome. Silly, I know, but I was hoping the battle would end differently for Harold, the last Saxon king.

I Am the Chosen King opens in the year 1043, in the court of Edward the Confessor. Through the book we see the trials and tribulations of Harold and the people around him, along with the events that led to that fateful day in 1066.

I Am the Chosen King was a book full of incredible detail and historical accuracy. The story was heavy and, of course, there is no happy ending. This is not a book that will be consumed in just a few days, at least it wasn't for me. It took me a few weeks to get through it. It wouldn't have been fair to just zip through the pages.

1 comments:

Manjulika Pramod said...

Beautiful blog header picture.
Thnx for the review.. I love books.
U may find me here

http://pendown.blog.co.in/