Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Charlotte and Emily by Jude Morgan

Charlotte and Emily (originally published as The Taste Sorrow) was a brilliant and beautiful novel. I am on such a Brontë high after finishing it.

The novel opens with the death of the mother Maria Brontë in 1821 and ends with Charlotte's marriage to Arthur Nicholls in 1854. I'm thankful that the book ended before her death because, frankly, I had had enough of death at that point.

I'm not going to go into detail about the lives of the Brontës. A simple Google search can fill you in there, so I won't bore you.

The writing was just beautiful and I felt that Morgan totally got it. From what I've gathered, the personalities of Charlotte, Branwell, Emily and Anne were written spot-on. I felt the sadness and the loneliness; the heartbreak and the disappointment; and finally, success.

I loved the scenes of the three sisters sitting around the table at night writing their novels. It was almost as though I was there with them, holding my breath, afraid of disturbing them. 

As an avid fan of all things Brontë, I was not disappointed in this novel at all. It completely passed my expectations, above and beyond. I feel as though I know them intimately now. The only thing I was disappointed with was the title. I hate how it was changed for the American edition, because the story was more than just Charlotte and Emily. The title The Taste of Sorrow is much more suitable.

This is definitely a keeper.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Ooh, reading about the girls sitting at the table writing their books must have been cool.. not knowing (for them) how well known they would one day be!! The cover of this is beautiful! I need to get caught up on my Bronte books and then I may need to check this one out!

Joanne said...

I'm definitely adding this one to the list. Thanks! (I'm going to have to stop coming to visit your blog -- you're making my TBR pile topple over! --just kidding--) I have one more Kate Ross mystery to read (per your recommenation) and I'm so sad there will be no more.

Melissa @ Confessions of an Avid Reader said...

Your review definitely makes me want to read this novel. It's a good thing I already have a copy sitting on my shelves :-)