Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The God in Flight by Laura Argiri

The God in Flight was melodramatic, sappy, exaggerated, disgustingly romantic, and overdone. And I loved every flippin' minute of it. I mean, really, it was your typically done gothic romance where the protagonists meet every obstacle but the kitchen sink before they can find happiness. It's the story of two damaged souls who try to find peace together only to find opposition from the outside world. The only difference of this gothic romance from the others is that The God in Flight is the story of two men instead of a man and a woman.

Most of the story takes place at Yale University in the late 1870s and early 1880s. Simion Satterwhite has escaped his abusive father and suffocating hometown to fulfill his dream of going to Yale. 30-year-old Greek-born Doriskos Klionarios was sent to Yale as an art professor by his English adoptive father after a scandal involving a student at Oxford. They eventually find themselves drawn together by feelings bigger than themselves.

Of course, this is scandalous, but they maintain a peaceful existence together in Doriskos' home for a while. Obviously, this doesn't last long, and everything hits the fan. Seriously, these two go through the ringer. The author showed no mercy and, I admit, I was scared of what would happen to the two by the end.

If you do not like dramatics and sappy love stories then I recommend steering clear of this. Reading through the reviews of the book, both good and bad, I knew it was the kind of book for me, and I was right. I took my time with it. I could have read it over the course of a few days, if I let myself. However, I took to only reading it at night, when everything was quiet, because I felt it was appropriate to the book. The God in Flight was an interesting experience, one I may want to partake of again.


0 comments: