Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Constance by Franny Moyle

I received a galley of this novel from NetGalley for review. This in no way affected my opinions.

Constance: The Tragic and Scandalous Life of Mrs. Oscar Wilde is a good account of the life of an often overlooked figure.

I admit, I've been interested in the life and work of Oscar Wilde for years, but have never given a second thought to his wife Constance. Shame on me! I feel like I need to apologize to her. She was a woman ahead of her time: intelligent, progressive, for women's rights, etc. She was also a children's writer.

From reading this biography I learned that Constance was an incredibly real person. She had her flaws, but some of them can be excused for the time she lived in. I also learned just what her husband's trial and eventual imprisonment did to her.

In the book are exerts of unpublished letters that Constance wrote to friends and family. Also included are some fabulous photos that I have never seen before.

Constance Wilde was truly an inspiring woman whose life ended much too soon. She was incredibly eager to learn anything and everything, not to mention wanting to do anything and everything. She understandably wore herself out. And even when her husband went to prison, she still continued to support him, showing just how compassionate she was.

Highly recommended biography. I'm thrilled that Constance's story is finally out there.


3 comments:

Kimberlee said...

Sounds like a great read. She must have been some woman to put up with that Oscar Wilde. Great review.

Kimberlee
http://girllostinabook.blogspot.com

The Relentless Reader said...

I want to read this ASAP! I love Oscar Wilde and I'd love to know more about him and his wife :)

Dazzling Mage said...

I really should read this. Great review!