Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Lady of Secrets by Susan Carroll

I received a galley of this novel from Edelweiss for review. This in no way affected my opinions.


The Lady of Secrets is the sixth installment of the Dark Queen Saga, a series I had no idea was ongoing. So, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this pop up.

The heroine of this was is Margaret Wolfe, who readers of this series will be familiar with. Now The Lady of Faire Isle, she is sought out by people who need her expertise in healing. She's sought out by one man in particular, who needs her to help lift a curse from the King of England. Once in England, she soon realizes that no one is telling the truth, and everyone is hiding something.

While I don't think this book was up to par with the rest of the series, I still liked it. I think what fell flat for me was I didn't care much for the hero, or the romance. And Meg, while a good heroine, fell short of the previous heroines. She was still a great heroine in her own right.

The first half of the book was great. Even though not a whole lot happened, I was still engrossed due to the writing. The characters were fantastic, I thought: the good, the bad, and the ones that hovered in the middle. Although, in the second half of the story, it lost something, and I'm not sure what. The climax of the story, while interesting, was disappointing in its effectiveness as the 'big event'.

Still, a good story. It was nice to see what happened to Meg.


2 comments:

Kimberlee said...

Oh too bad about the second half. I will be reading this book as soon as I finish the one I am reading now. I hate when a new book in a series is sort of a let down.

Kimberlee
http://girllostinabook.blogspot.com

Dazzling Mage said...

Ooh, I didn't know about this series, but it sounds great!